Thursday 1 August 2013

AS I BEGAN TO LOVE MYSELF; AN AHA MOMENT






Hello world,

I got off work on Saturday with one thing solely on my mind ‘FOR COLOURED GIRLS’ (who have considered suicide when the rainbow isn’t enough); Not the Tyler Perry movie… the stage play the movie was adapted from rather, was showing through the weekend. Unlucky me the show was sold out but I made a mental note to catch it before it closes. If the movie is anything to go by; it should be pretty interesting.

Moving on swiftly, I’d missed my stylista buddy Grace so I called her up and we decided to go for a cuppa. It was pouring; Lord this weather! So something warm and scrumptious was very welcome. We had coffee and red velvet cake that was yum. Okay am not about to give you every detail of our night and bore the life out of you, I just want to let you know that I had me an aha moment’….the Oprah kind ‘Which totally explains why that coffee date turned out special. 

We were sitting there just sharing tidbits of what was going on in our lives and we got carried away. We reflected on how far we’ve come. .Grace and i go a long way back’ (Started from the bottom now we here)lol. My aha moment came when I realized that even though my journey doesn’t feel like much now…I have evolved and am still evolving. Kindah like that India Arie song that has been on rewind ever since Saturday’ This is a song for every girl who's Ever been through something She thought she couldn't make it through I sing these words because I was that girl too Wanting something better than this But who do I turn to?Now we're moving from the darkness into the light This is the defining moment of our lives’

For a moment there I was okay with every setback, every failure and every mistake because in my hearts of hearts I know, I am moving from the darkness into the light. And this…this right here is the defining moment of my life.

I leave y’all with snippets from Saturday and a moving piece by Charlie Chaplin


 
 














As I Began to Love Myself – Self Love Poem by Charlie Chaplin

As I began to love myself I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth.
Today, I know, this is “AUTHENTICITY”.
As I began to love myself I understood how much it can offend somebody. As I try to force my desires on this person, even though I knew the time was not right and the person was not ready for it, and even though this person was me. Today I call it “RESPECT”.
As I began to love myself I stopped craving for a different life, and I could see that everything that surrounded me was inviting me to grow. Today I call it “MATURITY”.
As I began to love myself I understood that at any circumstance, I am in the right place at the right time, and everything happens at the exactly right moment. So I could be calm. Today I call it “SELF-CONFIDENCE”.
As I began to love myself I quit steeling my own time, and I stopped designing huge projects for the future. Today, I only do what brings me joy and happiness, things I love to do and that make my heart cheer, and I do them in my own way and in my own rhythm. Today I call it “SIMPLICITY”.
As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health – food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Today I know it is “LOVE OF ONESELF”.
As I began to love myself I quit trying to always be right, and ever since I was wrong less of the time. Today I discovered that is “MODESTY”.
As I began to love myself I refused to go on living in the past and worry about the future. Now, I only live for the moment, where EVERYTHING is happening. Today I live each day, day by day, and I call it “FULFILLMENT”.
As I began to love myself I recognized that my mind can disturb me and it can make me sick. But As I connected it to my heart, my mind became a valuable ally. Today I call this connection “WISDOM OF THE HEART”.
We no longer need to fear arguments, confrontations or any kind of problems with ourselves or others. Even stars collide, and out of their crashing new worlds are born. Today I know THAT IS “LIFE”!

No comments:

Post a Comment