Monday 20 May 2013

THE BOGOF-BEING ONLY GREAT OF FINNESSE





I recently attended the BOGOF (BEING ONLY GREAT OF FINNESSE) second edition  at the Hilton Hotel Nairobi and even though i did not have company ' i met me some amazing souls and had the time of my life. Funny how you meet people with common interests and become such good friends. That kinda happened to me last Saturday. My partner in crime the lovely Keshie was a no show since she had to go for a baby shower.Anywho she came through after it ended and we had a good time cheesing for the camera and some pep talk (girlfriends always have time for that).

The BOGOF was incredible apart from the timing which was a little off' lol. The MC miss Adele Onyango did an awesome job. Most of the perfomers were musical like a band that wowed the s*** out of me called ' The Yellow Light Machine (hope i got that right') , some hip hop from Kalimani, poems from The Lost Soul Child and a guy group namely Socks covering an acapella version of Swedish House Mafia (Save the World) , and a couple more' 

Having been there way before the event started'  i chatted up miss Georgia (Real name;Linda) she is actually a pretty awesome person so i learnt. She did a Mya Angelou Poem (Still i Rise) and her astounding 'Georgia poem' oooh Georgia....when i hear that poem, i get goose bumps' always.

So for the event i choose a pop of colour' mustard yellow palazzo pants and a royal blue vintage blouse. I am a certified colour freak (incase you havent noticed)lol... colour splashes make me feel incredible alive and happy and that counts for something' right!

Anywho i leave y'all with snippets from the BOGOF' and Mya Angelous' poem 'Still I rise' 

Enjoy your week lovies'

































Still I Rise


You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment